Thursday, November 6, 2014

CONVICT BONNET ............................

 
Back in June I was hearing a little about a
"Blessing Of The Bonnets" here in Colac,
but at the time life was a bit busy, so I
didn't pay enough attention.
 
When I did have time to listen and discover
what it was all about, I decided I would make
a convict bonnet in memory of my
Great-Great-Great-Great-Great Grandmother
MARY WADE.
 
Mary was born on the 5th October 177
 and died on the 17th December 1859
at the age of 82.
 
At the time of her death, she had
300 descendants.

 
Mary was convicted for steeling three items of
clothing at the age of 11, and was sentenced to
death by hanging.  Fortunately, she escaped this
dreadful punishment, and was transported to
Australia on the
'LADY JULIANA"

 
My Convict Bonnet will be going to the
collection of Bonnets in Hobart.
"ROSES FROM THE HEART'
where they are attempting to collect a
bonnet for every female convict that came
to Australia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment